Rugby league: Charity day success on and off the field

SEVERAL hundred rugby league fans and supporters braved the icy conditions at Kendall Showground to cheer on several football teams and raise funds for the Jordan Rice Foundation, Kim Walters Think Pink Think Choices, Rise For Alex and the Curtis Landers - Road To Recovery Appeal.

The Kendall Blues charity day was a great success thanks to generous sponsors, volunteers and the community. Fundraising targets were met which was a fantastic achievement.

With plenty of entertainment and fun off the field, on-field it was the Camden Haven Eagles who kicked off the sporting action. Three junior games were played before two senior matches.

Hastings League newcomers Harrington Hurricanes faced the Comboyne Tigers. The Tigers showed their experience and came away with a 100-12 win.

The main game was a nail-biter between the Kendall Blues and South West Rocks Marlins.

The Blues took the paddock in specially designed pink guernseys for the day and Daniel Minns didn't waste anytime crossing the line in the fourth minute to kick off what was going to be the start of an amazing display of football from him.

The horrendous swirling winds meant Alex Pearce's kicking game was put to the test and his conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

It didn't take long for Kendall to continue the scoring with Arnold Turnbull crossing the line only shortly after Minns. Pearce's conversion was unsuccessful.

The Marlins then sent Alex Rouse down the sideline crossing the line for the first time for the day a short time later.

Luke White wasted no time in making sure the Blues held their lead crossing the line moments later. Pearce's conversion attempt was successful.

The Marlins broke through the Blues defence twice to bring the score to 14 - 12 in the Blues' favour.

Daniel Minns displayed great skill and crossed the line and Pearce converted to give the Blues a bit more of a break in the scoreline but the Marlins scored just before the half time hooter sounded. At half time the score was Kendall 20 South West Rocks 18.

Minns didn't waste anytime returning to the field in the second half, crossing the line two minutes in. Pearce's conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

The Marlins found their legs and scored a hat trick of tries, with 1 successful conversion taking them to a lead of 24 - 32 with 17 minutes to go.

The Blues came together and Daniel Minns continued to impress the crowd crossing the line in the 75th minute with Pearce converting, bringing the score back to 30-32.

In what was an electrifying final few minutes, Minns then crossed the line again in the 78th minute to seal the victory for the Blues. It was an absolutely intense game for players, supporters and sponsors.

Next weekend the Blues have their final home game for the season taking on the Beechwood Shamrocks. Kick of is 2:30pm and we hope to see all of our sponsors and supporters there cheering on the Mighty Blues.