New-look Redbacks take on Wallis Lake in Premier League

A new-look Camden Haven Redbacks took to the field against Wallis Lake in Saturday’s Premier League round at Laurieton.

It was a grand final rematch in the Premier League competition on the weekend.

In spite of the success of both teams in the prior year, 2017 has seen a very different line-up for both, with each lacking a number of the stars they had in prior years. 

But despite this, and the wet conditions, the afternoon did not fail to entertain, although disappointingly for the Redbacks, with Wallis walking away with bragging rights.

The first grade side was keen to turn their poor season around.

With a number of younger players stepping up, including 16 year old Taylor Pate making his first grade debut in goals, it was hoped that this week would be the week for a different result.

The new combination looked promising, and at half-time, the Redbacks were up 1-0, almost 2-0 if not for a second goal being controversially disallowed.

The defensive efforts of Ryan Marjoribanks, Riley Papas, Ryan Squires and Jeremy Robinson had helped keep Wallis at bay, whilst the youthful midfield combination of Lochie Swan, Scott Witchard, Aiden Shaw and Jaryd Shaw allowed for some strong football in the middle.

Under 18’s young gun Logan Shaw worked hard on the field, but unfortunately had to be substituted just before half time following a number of heavy tackles against him, as the opposition looked to shut down his superior skills the only way they possibly could.

Replacement Toby Otto and Centre Forward Ben Makin did some great work up front, and for the first time this season, it looked as though this was going to be a Redbacks match.

However as the clock wound down, the dominance switched from Redbacks to Wallis Lake.

Eventually the lack of possession for the Redbacks took its toll, and three great goals saw the win slip away.

In the reserve grade clash, with playing numbers spread thin between the two sides, a number of Under 18’s, under the guidance of coach Billy Roe, once again stepped up. 

Ben Morgan, Jake Novella and Ryan Smith were each solid on the field, holding their own and looking completely at home, despite having played a full match less than 24 hours earlier.

Reserve grade also saw the return this week of Redback ‘legend’ Paul Eames. Back in the beloved red and black, Eames was a much valued addition to the side, whose skill and passing was a true asset to the team.

Despite the commitment of the players on the field, a lack of training in recent weeks was evident, with Wallis Lake taking advantage of the Redbacks vulnerability. 

The final score of 4-0 disappointing, though definitely something which can be improved upon.

This week sees the second half of competition begin, with the Redbacks once again having the bye.

A catch-up match scheduled for Tuesday June 27 against Port United at Dixie Park will be the final game of the round, and a final chance to put some much needed points on the board for the boys.


Discuss "Good start, but Redbacks slip further back"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.