Woolworths to demolish vacant Food For Less building in the next few months

Woolworths says the vacant Food For Less building will be demolished within the next few months.

The grocery giant says it is currently in discussions with contractors to complete the work.

A development application to demolish the vacant building was given the green light by Port Macquarie-Hastings Council in February.

Notes to the DA consent show Woolworths has five years to act from the date of the application’s consent.

Erosion and sediment controls, as well as dust control measures, are required during the project.

The work is limited to between 7am to 6pm Monday to Saturday unless otherwise permitted by the council.

A management plan for the historic plaques in William Street and Short Street adjacent to the site is required as part of the conditions.

That needs to include a photographic record of the location and condition of the plaques and details of proposed measures to protect them from damage during demolition works.

The spokesperson said the decision to demolish was taken in response to community feedback.

"In response to community concerns Woolworths made the decision to demolish the vacant building on Short and William Street last year," the spokesperson said.

"The DA to demolish the building has been approved by Port Macquarie-Hastings Council and we are currently working through the requirements to satisfy the conditions of consent.

"We remain on track to complete the demolition within the next few months and have already begun discussions with local demolition contractors."

The demolition work must be completed within three months after it starts.

The Food for Less building has been vacant since 2012.

Read more:

Comments