People are invited to a Community Spring Picnic at Camden Head Pilot Station on Sunday, November 3.
Attendees will have the opportunity to hear about the Camden Head Pilot Station's history and operation from 10am.
This will be followed by a tour of the cottage and walk along the river to visit Camden Head's first settlement and historic graves.
The tour will cost $15 per person.
From 12pm the community is invited to attend Pilot Station for a picnic lunch.
Homemade sweets will be available for a gold coin donation in the boatshed. All proceeds will go to people in the community who are in need.
"Bring your loved ones, a picnic lunch and blanket to enjoy our wonderful piece of living history," a spokesperson from the station said.
Please call 02 6559 6699 to book a place for the tour at 10am.
Access to the Pilot Station will be via the two boardwalks leading up from the Pilot Beach Car Park.
The need for a Pilot Station to assist ships to navigate the treacherous bar at the Camden Haven River inlet was identified during the 1860s/1870s.
During the 1870s there was a marked increase in industry in the area, particularly in relation to timber along the river.
In 1878 the first gazetted pilot was assigned to the Camden Haven to support the growing need for improved shipping access to the river.
With the advent of rail transport in 1915 and improved road services, coastal shipping and the need for piloting services declined.
However, a range of important Maritime Services Board functions continued at the Station until its closure in 1970s.
Today the Pilot Station has a new role, to preserve and enhance cultural and natural heritage and to contribute to community wellbeing.