THE foster parents of missing toddler William Tyrrell voiced their disappointment after the verdict that found former lead detective Gary Jubelin guilty of unlawful conduct.
Former lead detective Gary Jubelin was convicted and fined on April 8 for making illegal recordings during the investigation into missing toddler William Tyrrell.
Magistrate Ross Hudson ordered Jubelin to pay $10,000 in Sydney's District Court.
Jubelin was on Monday, April 6 found guilty of four breaches of the Surveillance Devices Act while heading up the task force into William's disappearance.
The former detective chief inspector contested allegations he unlawfully recorded four conversations with the Tyrrell family's elderly neighbour Paul Savage in 2017 and 2018.
"From the moment Gary Jubelin was appointed to lead Strike Force Rosann, he lived and breathed the investigation with absolute commitment to finding out what has happened to William," a statement from the foster family said.
"From the outset, Gary and a dedicated few in Strike Force Rosann were faced with enormous challenges, barriers and constant distractions that have consistently diverted resources away from the investigation to find a three-year-old little boy.
"And yet, even when faced with these extreme obstacles, Gary and those who shared his passion and commitment, have lived and breathed this purpose with undying dedication and always to bring justice for William and all those who love him.
"There is little doubt that this wouldn't be the first occasion when someone with this level of responsibility has gone above and beyond, crossing boundaries and creating new boundaries to achieve an outcome and justice for 3-year-old child and their loved ones."
In the absence of justice for William, every day this heinous crime remains unsolved the perpetrator or perpetrators remain at large and capable of committing monstrous crimes against innocent children and their families.Where's William? Campaign spokesperson
The family said irrespective of the decision handed down by Magistrate Hudson, Jubelin and Strike Force Rosann have given everything to find William - even often at great personal expense and loss.
A spokesperson for the Where's William? campaign said once again, there remains no justice for the three-year-old who has not been seen since he disappeared from his grandmother's Kendall property in September 2014.
"Significantly, where is the justice for the people of NSW? In the absence of justice for William, every day this heinous crime remains unsolved the perpetrator or perpetrators remain at large and capable of committing monstrous crimes against innocent children and their families."
The coronial inquest into the disappearance of Tyrrell was put on hold in March due to the outbreak of coronavirus.
It's not known when the inquest, before Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame, will conclude.
A directions hearing has been scheduled for June 1.
The coroner emphasised the police investigation was still ongoing.
The court heard before is concluded that fresh leads had been uncovered by the inquest and new witnesses could be called.
"Nothing in relation to this matter I consider to be a cold case," Ms Grahame said.
"It's an ongoing investigation, it's continuing, I'm happy to indicate that."
A $1 million reward remains in place for information leading to the discovery or return of William.
If you have seen William or have any information relating to his disappearance, please contact Crime Stoppers now on 1800 333 000 or visit the Crime Stoppers online reporting page nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.